Oratory, Declamation, Info
Hi! My name is Alex Brown, and I’m currently a first-year student at Washington University in St. Louis studying political science and sociology (where I’m also on the mock trial team). I competed in speech all four years of high school in the Kentucky circuit. I primarily competed in Oratory, Informative, POI, Poetry, and Prose, but public address categories are my forte. In 2018, I was the Kentucky state champion in Original Oratory and a finalist at the NCFL National Tournament in Original Oratory. I’ve also made it to out rounds at the GMU Patriot Games, UK TOC, NCFL, and NSDA. During my time in high school, I assisted in coaching many of my teammates, which is when I really started to love coaching. I first worked with 3P Speech in the beginning of my junior year, and it completely changed my speech career for the best, so I’m excited to pass down the knowledge I’ve learned to my students!
Each speech round is an opportunity for you to share your truth. This is the most important aspect of our activity: talking about what’s important to YOU. Helping you find that truth will be the ultimate goal of each session. More specifically, though, I will work with you to create a speech that will leave an impact on your audiences. We’ll start with learning the basic principles of your event and eventually work towards creating a full, fleshed-out, thoughtful speech. As for performance, we’ll pick apart particular sentences and explore the best way to deliver them as well as continuously practice performing with a natural, conversational tone. Most importantly, however, I want you to walk away from each session excited about your speech. We’ll work hard in our sessions, but we’ll also have a lot of fun because what’s the point of speech if you don’t love what you’re doing?
● Picking topics that are important to you
● Creating speeches that have a unique and purposeful structure
● Finding important research to support your argument/topic
● Working towards conversational performances and natural hand gestures
● Using humor and personal anecdotes to personalize your speech
Accolades of students I’ve worked with:
● 2017 KY Middle School State Champion (Original Oratory)
● 2017 NCFL Finalist, 5th (Declamation)
● 2017 GMU Patriot Games Quarterfinalist (Declamation)
● 2018 KY State Runner-Up (Declamation)
● 2019 KY State Finalist, 3rd (Poetry)
● 2019 KY State Finalist, 6th (Original Oratory)